FraudGPT is a new AI tool powered by a large language model capable of generating realistic and coherent text. It makes it possible for cybercriminals to create convincing phishing emails, text messages, or websites that trick users into revealing sensitive information.
What is FraudGPT?
FraudGPT was first discovered by Netenrich, a security research firm, in July 2023. The tool is being sold on the dark web and Telegram channels for a monthly subscription of $200 or an annual subscription of $1,700.
FraudGPT is a generative AI tool created by a threat actor who uses the online alias "CanadianKingpin." The tool is based on a large language model (LLM) fine-tuned for malicious purposes. This means that FraudGPT can generate realistic and coherent text that can be used to create convincing phishing emails, text messages, or websites that trick users into revealing sensitive information.
The threat actor who created FraudGPT is said to have been inspired by the success of other generative AI tools used for malicious purposes, such as WormGPT. WormGPT is an AI tool used to create convincing phishing emails targeting businesses and organizations. The emails were so effective that they could trick employees into clicking on malicious links, allowing the threat actor to access the organization's network.
FraudGPT is a more robust and sophisticated tool than WormGPT, and it is likely to be used by cybercriminals to carry out more sophisticated attacks in the future. The tool is still under development, but it is already capable of generating realistic and coherent text that can be used to create convincing phishing emails, text messages, or websites.
The creation of FraudGPT is a worrying development, as it shows how cybercriminals increasingly use AI to carry out attacks. It is crucial for users to be aware of this threat and to take steps to protect themselves from it. By being aware of the threat and following the tips above, you can help to keep your information safe from cyber criminals.
In addition to creating phishing emails and websites, FraudGPT can create cracking tools, malware, and other malicious software. This makes it a powerful tool for cybercriminals, and users must know its threat.
How You Can Protect Yourself
- Be suspicious of any unsolicited messages. FraudGPT is often used to send phishing emails or text messages that appear to be from legitimate companies. These messages may ask for personal information, such as your Social Security or credit card number. If you receive an unsolicited message, do not click on any links or provide any personal information.
- Verify the source of any messages. If you receive a message that appears to be from a legitimate company, do not click on any links or provide any personal information until you have verified the message's source. You can do this by going to the company's website and contacting them directly.
- Use strong passwords and two-factor authentication. Strong passwords and two-factor authentication can help to protect your accounts from being hacked. A strong password is at least 12 characters long and includes a mix of uppercase and lowercase letters, numbers, and symbols. Two-factor authentication requires you to enter a code from your phone in addition to your password when you log in to an account.
- Regularly check your account statements for suspicious activity. FraudGPT can be used to make unauthorized charges to your accounts. If you periodically check your account statements, you can spot any suspicious activity and report it to your bank or credit card company.
- Keep your software up to date. Software updates often include security patches that can help to protect your computer from malware. Keep your software updated, including your operating system, web browser, and antivirus software.
- Be careful about what information you share online. Fraudsters can use information you share online, such as your birthday or hometown, to target you with phishing attacks. Be careful about what information you share online, and do not share any personal information you would not want a stranger to know.
- Be aware of the signs of a phishing attack. Phishing attacks often use social engineering techniques to trick people into revealing their personal information. Some common symptoms of a phishing attack include:
- The message is from an unfamiliar sender.
- The message is urgent or threatening.
- The message asks for personal information, such as your Social Security or credit card number.
- The message contains a link that you are not familiar with.
- Do not open attachments or click on links in emails or text messages from people you do not know. Even if the message appears from a legitimate company, it is best to err on the side of caution and not open attachments or click links.
- Use a spam filter to help reduce the number of unsolicited messages you receive. A spam filter can help identify and block messages likely to be spam or phishing attacks.
- Be careful about what information you share on social media. Fraudsters can use the information that you share on social media to target you with phishing attacks.
- FraudGPT: The Villain Avatar of ChatGPT. (n.d.). Netenrich.com. Retrieved August 4, 2023, from https://netenrich.com/blog/fraudgpt-the-villain-avatar-of-chatgpt
- Labs, C. (n.d.). Introducing FraudGPT: The Latest AI Cybercrime Tool in the Dark Web | Cyware Hacker News. Cyware Labs. https://cyware.com/news/introducing-fraudgpt-the-latest-ai-cybercrime-tool-in-the-dark-web-1ba40d2f
- Paganini, P. (2023, July 26). FraudGPT, a new malicious generative AI tool, appears in the threat landscape. Security Affairs. https://securityaffairs.com/148829/cyber-crime/fraudgpt-cybercrime-generative-ai.html
- What Is FraudGPT? How to Protect Yourself From This Dangerous Chatbot. (2023, August 1). MUO. https://www.makeuseof.com/what-is-fraudgpt/
Elevate Your Business Operations Through Unmatched IT Excellence: Choose Second Star Technologies
Are you ready to take your business to the next level with optimized IT infrastructure? Second Star Technologies can help.
We offer a wide range of IT services, including network management, security solutions, and 24/7 support. Our team of experts will work with you to understand your needs and develop a customized solution that will help you achieve your business goals.
With Second Star Technologies, you can be confident that your IT infrastructure is secure, reliable, and scalable. We'll help you free up your time and resources so you can focus on what you do best: growing your business.
Contact us today to learn more about how we can help you reach your full potential.