The Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency (CISA) has released a joint Cybersecurity Advisory (CSA) on the top routinely exploited vulnerabilities of 2022. The CSA provides details on the Common Vulnerabilities and Exposures (CVEs) that were exploited most frequently by malicious cyber actors in 2022 and the associated Common Weakness Enumerations (CWEs).
Top 10 Routinely Exploited Vulnerabilities of 2022
The top 10 CVEs routinely exploited in 2022 were:
- CVE-2022-22947: A remote code execution vulnerability in Spring Core.
- CVE-2022-20190: A remote code execution vulnerability in Apache Log4j.
- CVE-2022-22963: A remote code execution vulnerability in Microsoft Exchange Server.
- CVE-2022-22957: A remote code execution vulnerability in Citrix Application Delivery Controller and Citrix Gateway.
- CVE-2022-22941: A remote code execution vulnerability in VMware Workspace ONE Access and VMware Identity Manager.
- CVE-2022-22958: A remote code execution vulnerability in VMware Horizon Client.
- CVE-2022-22964: A remote code execution vulnerability in Microsoft Exchange Server.
- CVE-2022-21907: A remote code execution vulnerability in Microsoft Windows Print Spooler.
- CVE-2022-22959: A remote code execution vulnerability in VMware Horizon Agent.
What are the mitigation recommendations for these vulnerabilities?
The CSA also provides mitigation recommendations for organizations to protect themselves from these vulnerabilities. These recommendations include:
- Applying timely patches to systems.
- Implementing a centralized patch management system.
- Using security tools, such as endpoint detection and response (EDR), web application firewalls, and network protocol analyzers.
- Asking software providers to discuss their secure by-design program and to provide links to information about how they are working to remove classes of vulnerabilities and to set secure default settings.
How can organizations stay up-to-date on the latest cybersecurity threats?
Organizations can stay up-to-date on the latest cybersecurity threats by subscribing to CISA's email updates, following their social media channels, and visiting their website. Additionally, organizations can use security awareness training to educate their employees about cybersecurity threats and how to protect themselves.
What can I do to protect myself from these vulnerabilities?
If you are an individual, you can protect yourself from these vulnerabilities by:
- Using strong passwords and changing them regularly.
- Keeping your software up to date.
- Being careful about what websites you visit and what links you click on.
- Using a security awareness training program to learn about cybersecurity threats.
If you are an organization, you can protect yourself from these vulnerabilities by:
- Implementing a comprehensive cybersecurity program that includes vulnerability scanning, patch management, and security awareness training.
- Using security tools to detect and respond to threats.
- Working with software providers to ensure that their products are secure.
By following these recommendations, organizations and individuals can help to protect themselves from the most common and dangerous vulnerabilities.
How Managed IT Services Can Address Emerging Security Threats
Partnering with a Managed IT Service Provider (MSP) can address many of the challenges presented by the CISA CSA on the top routinely exploited vulnerabilities of 2022.
- MSPs have the expertise to identify and mitigate vulnerabilities. MSPs have a deep understanding of the latest cybersecurity threats and vulnerabilities. They can help organizations identify and mitigate vulnerabilities in their systems and applications.
- MSPs can help organizations to stay up-to-date on patches. MSPs can help organizations stay up-to-date on software and operating system patches. This is important because patches often address vulnerabilities that malicious actors could exploit.
- MSPs can use security tools to detect and respond to threats. MSPs can use various security tools to detect and respond to threats. This includes tools for vulnerability scanning, patch management, endpoint detection and response (EDR), and intrusion detection and prevention (IDS/IPS).
- MSPs can provide 24/7 support. MSPs can provide 24/7 support for organizations. This means organizations can always get help if they experience a security incident.
In addition to the challenges presented by the CISA CSA, partnering with an MSP can also help organizations address other challenges, such as:
- Lack of IT resources. Many organizations do not have the in-house IT resources to manage their IT infrastructure and security effectively. MSPs can provide these resources to organizations, freeing internal IT staff to focus on other tasks.
- The complexity of IT systems. IT systems have become increasingly complex in recent years. This can make it difficult for organizations to manage their IT infrastructure and security effectively. MSPs can help organizations to manage their IT systems more effectively.
- Cost of IT security. IT security can be a significant cost for organizations. MSPs can help organizations reduce IT security costs by providing economies of scale and expertise.
- 2022 Top Routinely Exploited Vulnerabilities | CISA. (2023, August 3). Www.cisa.gov. https://www.cisa.gov/news-events/cybersecurity-advisories/aa23-215a
Elevate Your Business Operations Through Unmatched IT Excellence: Choose Second Star Technologies
Are you ready to take your business to the next level with optimized IT infrastructure? Second Star Technologies can help.
We offer a wide range of IT services, including network management, security solutions, and 24/7 support. Our team of experts will work with you to understand your needs and develop a customized solution that will help you achieve your business goals.
With Second Star Technologies, you can be confident that your IT infrastructure is secure, reliable, and scalable. We'll help you free up your time and resources so you can focus on what you do best: growing your business.
Contact us today to learn more about how we can help you reach your full potential.